Monday, December 8, 2008

Cadillac Records is a Must See!

My family and I went to see Cadillac Records this weekend. I was presently surprised by this film. Honestly from all the advertisements, I figured the entire movie would be based on Beyonce and her role as Etta James. Now don't get me wrong I am a B fan too, but I was hoping the movie was not centered around just one megastar who in my opinion is becoming a tad bit overexposed. Anyway if you are not too upset with my Beyonce comment, and would like to read on, I would love to share my thoughts on this outstanding movie!

Cadillac Records told the story of Chess Records, the company that introduced the world to Blues great Muddy Waters (Jeffery Wright). Now I have always heard of Muddy Waters but regretfully I never knew his story and how significant he was to Black music history. Muddy Waters, known for his voice along with his guitar skills, opened the door for other Blues singers and musicians such as Little Walter (Columbus Short) and Howlin' Wolf (Eamonn Walker). Like Muddy, I knew very little about these two stars as well. As Chess Records made these Blues greats famous, owner Leonard Chess (Adrien Brody) also launched the careers of Rock & Roll great Chuck Berry (Mos Def) and singer Etta James (Beyonce Knowles). The movie highlighted the history behind each of these artists and the incredible barriers they broke for so called "Race Music" during the 1950s and 60s.

In my opinion, the storyline was laid out very well and the actors used for each role were amazing. I would particularly like to say that Columbus Short and Mos Def really did their thing. I mean Columbus is still early in his career, which is obviously going to take off from here. And Mos Def, most defiantly, became Chuck Berry in the flesh!

As for weekend box office results the film did not do so badly. It took in an estimated $3.5M from only 686 play dates. The R-rated film averaged a good $5,102 representing the second highest average in the top ten. Now Cadillac Records was produced for $12M, so let's hope in the next few weeks we all go out and support this one!

Stay Tuned Cause We're Juicy~ Peaches

No comments: